The San Francisco 49ers returned to the SAP Performance Facility on Friday to kick off their third block of training camp practices. The session was highlighted by a number of key plays from the 49ers offense, including quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and Raheem Mostert getting flashy in the ground game.
San Francisco held their fan-favorite 1-on-1 drills. Here are a few notes from the period:
– Former third-round pick Jalen Hurd made his first catch of team drills on Friday. The wideout hauled in a strike over the middle from Nate Sudfeld that went for 20 yards.
– Kittle made an impressive outstretched fingertip grab on a high pass from Lance.
– Rookie corner Deommodore Lenoir forced a fumble on a pass from Sudfeld to JaMycal Hasty. Linebacker Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles recovered the loose ball.
– Arden Key and Jordan Willis both notched «would-be» sacks during the 49ers first series of full-team reps.
– Lance isn’t the only quarterback who has flashed with his legs. The 49ers unleashed Garoppolo as the quarterback faked a handoff and cut up the middle of the field for a 20-yard pickup.
– Mostert was the highlight of one the most standout carries of camp. The running back took the handoff and burst through a hole for a 60-yard «would-be» touchdown.
– During the 49ers first move-the-ball period, San Francisco’s first team offense got inside the opposing team’s 40-yard line. With a chance to convert, a play by Jason Verrett held Kittle a few yards shy of the first down marker, ending the unit’s series.
– Emmanuel Moseley made his practice debut after being activated off the Reserve/Covid-19 list. The corner set the tone early, breaking up a pass intended for Samuel on the 49ers first passing play of full-team drills.
– Ahead of the start of practice, Jennings was also activated off of the Reserve/Covid-19 list. Jennings is a former seventh-round pick, who spent the 2020 season on the team’s practice squad and adds himself to San Francisco’s competition at the vacant WR3 spot.
– Nick Bosa (ACL) and Dontae Johnson (foot) both made returns to practice following the team’s off day.
– Arik Armstead (groin), Zach Kerr (groin) and Samson Ebukam (soreness) missed Friday’s session.
«No long-term things,» Shanahan said. «We’re just missing a couple of guys from wear and tear. It’s a part of camp. We’ll just have to get through it all.»
– On Friday, the 49ers activated safety Jaquiski Tartt from the Reserve/Covid-19 List and placed him on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform List while working his way back from a season-ending toe injury.
– The 49ers will host their lone open practice of training camp at Levi’s® Stadium on Saturday. For tickets and information on the open session, visit 49ers.com/TrainingCamp.
Catch up on the latest San Francisco 49ers headlines.
If things continue on the path they are, both Bosa and Shanahan believe 49ers fans can expect to see the former DROY on the field Week 1 vs. the Detroit Lions.
The 49ers closed out the weekend with their 10th practice of camp that featured highlight moments from Jimmy Garoppolo, Deebo Samuel, Javon Kinlaw and others.
The 49ers opened the doors to Levi’s® Stadium for the first time since the 2019 NFC Championship game allowing over 12,000 of the Faithful to get a first look at the 2021 49ers.
© 2021 Forty Niners Football Company LLC